Friday, 8 July 2016

Maya - "Joint on curve" tool


Sharing this because it might be of use to some people. The "Joint on curve" tool.

This tool enables Maya users to place joints onto a curve without having to attach joints individually, I used this tool in the creation of my tank treads for my adaptation project. It was a little tricky at first but I got the hang of it quickly. The tool is actually a script which needs to be enabled in MEL before it can be used. It was downloaded from: https://www.creativecrash.com/maya/script/joint-on-curve-tool.



The tool has a variety of options for joints: joint size, name of the joint group, number of bind and control joints, their axis and also what kind of control shape each joint will have. It does not automatically connect each joint up however.

Bit of a niche tool I guess, it'd be useful for rigging up animals or objects that have curves or complex designs in their skeletons.




1 comment: