Tuesday, 26 April 2016

Adaptation B - Completed Rigging

 

A set of complete tank treads courtesy of Alan's formula which took a little bit of reverse engineering and patience to get right after a few attempts. I download a script to enable me to attach the joints to the NURBS curve then applied an IK Handle to make it seem like the joints move around the curve.

The fully rigged arm, this was very difficult intitially but eventually I settled for just using joints and controls to make a simple arm rig.

The rigging part of the project wasn't easy, I haven't done much rigging so it took a while to get right but I am happy with the results.

Monday, 25 April 2016

Adaptation B - Emitters

 


I managed to put some emitters into my model, two for the cigarette which emit smoke and one for the radioactive power-pipe which shoots out small particles.

Thursday, 21 April 2016

Adaptation B - Completed UVs

Finally, all of the UV'ing, texturing, Normal Maps and Ambient Occlusion maps are completed. Normal and ambient occlusion was created using xNormals.

I had to modify the process on xNormals for ambient occlusion to better use the UVs set out in the high-poly mesh.

Not all of the model has normal maps as some came out disfigured on the meshes but almost everything (par the bolts) has an ambient occlusion map attached.

The two principle shaders used were Lamberts and Phong shaders. I used Lamberts for most of the materials and used the Phong shader for shiny parts of the model.


Sunday, 17 April 2016

Adaptation B - Low and High meshes

These are images of the low-poly, non-smoothed version of my Oppenheimer model.

Creating this wasn't too difficult though in hindsight it would've been smarter to create it first.

Clearedfor non-4 edge polygons and UV checked as well. 


These images have the high-poly mesh on the right and the low-poly mesh on the left. Most of the biggest differences come from the cylindrical meshes and anything with curves on it.

The gas mask face piece and the brain were the hardest to downgrade to a low-poly mesh, on account of the large number of faces on the gas mask and the Mudbox smoothed version of the brain.

Friday, 15 April 2016

Adaptation B - Final UVs

Oppenheimer's high-poly mesh has finally been completed and all the UV's set out. The key now is to make a low-poly mesh and begin baking normal maps.

This process took a considerable amount of time as I had to go on a poly hunt and kill off any non 4-sided faces in order to make X-Normals work.

Sunday, 10 April 2016

Adaptation B - UV Unfolding Progress

Progress on UV'ing the whole model, so far only the head and gas mask have been done.

I used the method for UV'ing the head and body in the Maya tutorials, this method works out really well.

After overcoming some initial challenges with separating and reattaching pieces of the mesh, unfolding the model is becoming easier.

Friday, 8 April 2016

Adaptation B - Modelling progress

Classifed pictures of Oppnehimer released lately.

This shows off the most recent modeling work on him; his main body, the unfinished tank treads and his hat and cigarette.

UV'ing this is not going to be easy.

Wednesday, 6 April 2016

Adaptation B - Oppenheimer Concept Art - Improvements

This is a refinement of my Oppenheimer model, this was down to a few things;

When modelling I found that the actual design of the green box that holds Oppenheimer's dome was pretty uninteresting so I modified it to look more like an ammunition container.

Also, the "neck guard" didn't fit the gas mask design so I modified it to look more like tank armour that had been patch onto the box.